Stop what you are doing. 18 Things Highly Creative People Do Differently written by features editor Carolyn Gregoire of The Huffington Post is a must read for all creative peeps. Actually make that all peeps.
If you are short on time, and need the CliffsNotes:
1. They daydream.
2. They observe everything.
3. They work the hours that work for them.
4. They take time for solitude.
5. They turn life’s obstacles around.
6. They seek out new experiences.
7. They “fail up.”
8. They ask the big questions.
9. They people-watch.
10. They take risks.
11. They view all of life as an opportunity for self-expression.
12. They follow their true passions.
13. They get out of their own heads.
14. They lose track of the time.
15. They surround themselves with beauty.
16. They connect the dots.
17. They constantly shake things up.
18. They make time for mindfulness.
While I’d like to take the self validation route and think that I possess all of the above qualities (yeah, right), my #1 take-away from this article is to cut my kids a little more slack. Next time I find myself getting frustrated with them for getting side-tracked, I’ll remind myself they are just being the creative geniuses I know they truly are. 🙂